Bruichladdich (meaning the "brae by the shore") was built in 1881 by Robert, William and John Gourlay Harvey. The distillery went through several hands before 1969, when it was bought by Invergordon Distillers as part of a programme designed to create an integrated distilling group.
In 1975 an additional 2 stills were added to the original pattern, thus enlarging the mash-house and tun-room and taking capacity far beyond the original design. In 1994 the distillery was mothballed. In 2000 the distillery was purchased by Murray McDavid and is now back in production.