Bunnahabhain

Bunnahabhain Distillery was designed from the start as a high-output malt distillery. Built round a courtyard, in a style that resembles a Bordeaux chateau, the distillery today is little changed. It amalgamated with William Grant and Sons in 1887 to become part of the Highland Distillers group.

During 1963 the number of stills were increased from 2 to 4. Bunnahabhain (meaning 'mouth of the river') shares its name with the village that grew up around it. In effect, development of the distillery created a community dependent upon it for employment. In doing so, an entire village emerged.