The most southerly of all the distilleries is Bladnoch. The distillery was founded in 1817 and changed hands many times during the 20th century. It was closed from 1938-1956 during which time the distilling equipment was removed and shipped to Sweden. It was later owned by Inver House (1973-1983), who sold it to Arthur Bell & Sons PLC, who were subsequently taken over by United Distillers.
The distillery was closed in 1993. In 1994 Raymond Armstrong purchased the distillery and opened a visitors' centre. In 2000, production recommenced. Although the distillery does not triple distil, it does produce a typical Lowland style of malt whisky.