The Glentauchers Distillery Company started as a joint venture between James Buchanan, the creator of the "Black & White" and "Buchanan" blends, and WP Lowrie. The distillery was designed by local architect, John Alcock.In 1925 James Buchanan & Company became part of the Distillers Company Limited (DCL).
Glentauchers worked continuously, with exception of the war years, until mothballed in 1985. In 1989 it was sold to Allied Distillers who restarted production. Glentauchers is a key component in Allied Domceq's Blended Scotch Whisky brands.