Tullamore Dew

The story of Tullamore D.E.W. began with Daniel E. Williams. His earliest days in the distillery were spent shovelling malted barley; his night spent sleeping in the hayloft. He was the ultimate self-made man, propelling himself quickly through the ranks.

Recognised as the brightest talent in the distillery, in 1873 he was made General Manager and ultimately became owner of the distillery. Single-handedly, he began to turn a good whiskey great. Sometime later, this accomplished, he proudly marked every bottle from the Tullamore Distillery under the name Tullamore D.E.W.

Although the vision of Daniel E. Williams was focused keenly on the craft of whiskey making, his passion was such that his influence had much further reaching consequences. In order to make his whiskey his way, Williams brought electricity, motorised cars and the telephone to Tullamore town.

The Williams family were the first to create an Irish blended whiskey. What was once a brilliant innovation has become the signature of many Irish whiskeys to this day.

Even though Daniel E. Williams has long since passed, his legacy lives on. His sheer grit and determination has been a huge source of inspiration to the brand and has helped ensure that Tullamore D.E.W. continues to be enjoyed throughout the world.