Founded 160 years ago in the heart of the northern Côtes du Rhône, Delas Frères today crafts world class wines from both northern and southern Rhône.
Tending the steep sloping vineyards, which total some 30 hectares of vines, the team adapt their growing practices to each plot of vines to let the terroir of the Rhône shine through in the wines.
Crafted by winemaker Jacques Grange (who is originally from Burgundy), the wines from Delas Freres epitomise finesse and elegance. Recent vintages from the vineyards of Hermitage, Crozes-Hermitage, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Côte Rôtie, Condrieu, Côtes-du-Rhône and Côtes-du-Ventoux have been lauded in the press for their intensity of flavour and excellent value.
The winery was founded in 1835 when Charles Audibert and Philippe Delas bought Maisons Junique, a 40-year-old winery which they renamed Audibert & Delas. The houses reputation spread quickly worldwide as the winery brought home numerous awards from international competitions.
Philippe Delas had two sons, Henri and Florentin. The latter married the daughter of Charles Audibert, further strengthening the bond between the two families. In 1924, the brothers succeeded to the founders and changed the name of the house to Delas Freres.
After World War II, under Florentins son Jean and thanks to the widespread apreciation of French wines, the family house experienced rapid growth. Jean visited new export markets following the brilliant success of Philippe Delas and Charles Audibert. To ensure a regular supply of the highest quality grapes to satisfy the growing demand, he extended the family holdings by purchasing a vineyard at Châteauneuf du Pape and enlarging the Hermitage vineyards.
When Jeans son Michel took control of Delas Freres in 1960, the winery had become one of the major houses in the Northern Rhone, where it owned and controlled vineyards in Hermitage, Cornas, Côte Rôtie, and Condrieu.
In 1981, the house moved to its current premises in Saint Jean de Muzols, a small village located two kilometers north of Tournon. The winery building, set amidst the vineyards of the St. Joseph appellation, covers more than 3000 square meters.
In 1993 Delas Frères became part of the Champagne Louis Roederer group, which shares a similar family owned history and pursuit of excellence.