From its hillside home in the Scottish Highlands, The GlenDronach Distillery has been creating the finest richly sherried single malts for nearly 200 years.
In 1826 the exuberant and extroverted James Allardice founded the distillery and produced his ‘Guid GlenDronach’ single malt. Down the years, the distillery he created has thrived under the stewardship of far-sighted investors like Walter Scott in 1847 and Captain Charles Grant in 1920.
In more recent times, GlenDronach was bought in 1960 by William Teacher & Sons. Originally, all of the workers at GlenDronach lived on site, including the distillery manager, staff, excise man, brewer and all of their families. To this day many of the old houses still remain. The most famous of them all is Glen House, which was built in 1771. Home to many of the distillery’s managers, the grand Georgian building could probably tell a tale or two. Rumour has it; the front room is haunted by a Spanish lady, who travelled over to Scotland in a sherry cask. Apparently she is quite partial to the odd tipple now and then.
In 1968, GlenDronach was released as a single malt brand for the first time and the brand’s reputation grew from strength to strength. In 2008, nothing less than a complete renaissance began. The BenRiach Distillery Company became GlenDronach’s proud new owner. While time can never stand still, the commitment of the team at GlenDronach will ensure that the distinctive practices that have always defined the distillery will live on – the most influential of these, its return to independent ownership.