CATEGORY: Single malt.
BOTTLER: Distillery Bottling.
NUMBER OF BOTTLES: 42000
STRENGTH: 59.8% Vol.
Octomore Ten is unleashed once more. Taking a different maturation path than its decade old predecessors, this third edition demonstrates the playfulness of the warehouse master. A patchwork quilt of sorts, many parcels of sophisticated spirit have been knitted together to complete this series’ relentless path of discovery.
THE OUTLIER: With the 09.1, 09.2 and 09.3 all distilled in 2012, a comparison of the changing characteristics is logical. Unlike any other in this series however, the Octomore Ten stands alone.
This third limited edition of Octomore Ten is everything Octomore should not be. The maturation time is doubled. The maturation profile is as complex as they come. And yet it works. Our Octomore education evolves.
Much of this Octomore bottling is an ode to editions past, with spirit released years earlier in 06.2 and 07.4. Now aged further, this weird and winding journey incorporates casks which previously held bourbon, cognac, port or nothing at all (virgin oak). The results of each individual parcel are brought together in an astounding display to become greater than the sum of its parts.
OCTOMORE TEN διάλογος is:
- Malted to 167PPM
- Distilled from 100% Scottish grown Optic barley, harvested in 2007 and distilled in 2008
- Matured entirely on Islay for 10 years in Port, Cognac, ex-American whiskey and Virgin Oak casks
- Full term maturation in 1st fill Port pipes (37%), 1st fill Cognac casks (31%), 2nd fill ex American whiskey casks (20%)
- With an additional parcel from 3 years first fill ex American, 2 years virgin oak, final 6 years in ex American whiskey casks (12%)
- Bottled unchill-filtered and colouring free at Bruichladdich Distillery, 56.8% alc. / vol.
- Limited to 12,000 bottles
CHARACTER: A dram of depth and worth taking some time to get to know. Greater than the sum of its parts and the parts that combine to make it have an individual story of their own.
AROMA: There is a richness, chocolate, tobacco, bonfire smoke, leather. Vanilla custard, blueberry dry straw and pear drops.
TASTE: Warming, spicy – mulled wine. Leather and tobacco, malt sugar, icing sugar. All wrapped in earthy peaty smoke. Dry on the palate.
FINISH: Oak driven, coconut, tobacco, vanilla, then smoke. In balance the time in the cask has calmed the smoke, both through the phenols lowering naturally over time and the influence of the oak becoming greater.