Strathmill Distillery is situated on the southern side of Keith on the banks of the River Isla, away from public view. The distillery started life as Strathisla Mills in 1823. In 1891 the mill was rebuilt as a distillery called Glenisla - Glenlivet. In 1895 it was purchsed by W & A Gilbey and renamed Strathmill. Many years later, in 1962, the distillery was taken over by United Distillers & Vintners (UDV).
Major reconstruction began on the distillery in the late 1960's, with the maltings being converted into a warehouse and the double kilns into a malt storage area. Condensers were also fitted to replace the worm tubs and 2 additional stills were installed. Purifiers are used in the lyne arm of each still, this helps to produce a lighter spirit ideal for blending.